The effect of violent games on aggression
AbstractThe aim of this study was to examine the effects of violent video games on aggressive behaviour when played by children and adolescents. This was done by investigating several theories and by conducting a structured literature review in which the studies were considered separate by methodology. Eight articles were included in the review after computerized searches of the psychological database PsycINFO. The results showed a small effect of violent video games on aggressive behaviour. However, several other factors have been found to play a role and to make the effect larger. Examples of these factors are wishful identification, competitiveness, arousal, and trait aggression. Gender has also been found to play an important role: the effects of the games are higher within boys when compared to girls.
Authors can use either their accepted author manuscript for:
- Use at a conference, meeting or for teaching purposes.
- Internal training.
- Sharing individual articles with colleagues for their research use (also known as 'scholarly sharing').
- Use in a subsequent compilation of the author's, or the supervisor's works.
- Inclusion in a thesis or dissertation.
- Reuse of portions or extracts from the article in other works.
- Preparation of derivative works (other than for commercial purposes).