Steps towards sustainable student support: Stressors among international high school students living in a boarding house
AbstractHigh school is a stressful time for any adolescent. But what about teenagers who recently moved across the world to live in a boarding house and start at a competitive international school? This study aimed to discover what stressors boarding students at an international school experience through a literature research and 15 semi-structured interviews with current students and recent graduates. The findings indicate that the boarders experience a wide variety of boarding-, peer-, and school-related stressors. Interventions are suggested to address the mentioned stressors and to help the school design effective programs to promote student wellbeing.
Authors can use either their accepted author manuscript for:
- Use at a conference, meeting or for teaching purposes.
- Internal training.
- Sharing individual articles with colleagues for their research use (also known as 'scholarly sharing').
- Use in a subsequent compilation of the author's, or the supervisor's works.
- Inclusion in a thesis or dissertation.
- Reuse of portions or extracts from the article in other works.
- Preparation of derivative works (other than for commercial purposes).